Sunday 1 September 2013

Buying Second Hand Nappies - the good, bad and the ugly!

When I first started with cloth nappies, I didn't even realise there was a second hand market for them. I looked for some good sales and bought a few to try out. Not long after, I was designing my own and through all my research found there was a very strong market for selling used nappies.

This concept took me by surprise. I totally understand why parents buy second hand nappies - you save money, it gives you a chance to trial cloth nappies with minimum outlay, and it gives the nappies a further chance to be used and not wasted.

But. And this is a big but. Some times I really wonder if it is worth it.

Baby Bare was in many ways started from the second hand trade. Seeing nappies selling for almost $40 a piece, I could see why they were selling second hand. I aimed to come up with a nappy that could be bought for the same price so many are selling second hand. Yet, it was brand new.

I am apprehensive to tell any parent to buy second hand. I recommend using a nappy library, and then buying nappies you know are perfect for you.

So why do I personally recommend against second hand nappies?


  • Second hand nappies have no warranty. You're on your own if something goes wrong.
  • You have no idea what condition the nappies will be in when you receive them.
  • You have little idea how much life is left in the nappies when you purchase them. 
  • You can buy great nappies for less then $20. Buy brand new in your budget, rather then second hand. 
  • Do not fall into the trap of thinking you will get a better deal on a second hand $40 nappy, then a brand new $20 nappy. 
  • The controversial one - another baby has peed and pooped in the nappy. It probably isn't worth the price tag on it. After all, what other items of clothing would you buy after they'd been used in this way. 


I honestly think a set of cloth nappies will see out there best time being used the first time through. If you have subsequent children they will also benefit. You have full control over your nappies from the start. You know the history of washing and care, and if anything goes wrong you have a warranty. Your baby gets the luxury of a brand new nappy and at the end you can sell them and make back your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment