Sunday 1 September 2013

A work at home cloth nappy mum

I'm a work at home mum. Commonly known as a WAHM.

In my previous life (before I became the mum part of the WAHM) I worked in tax accounting in the public service. Spending a year at home with my first daughter saw me wanting to create an opportunity to work from home, I also had itchy feet. I needed something to keep my mind active. I combined my interest in cloth nappies with my business background and Baby Bare was born.

I get asked a lot what I do, and how I juggle being a work at home mum. The truth is, it's a tough gig. A lot of people think working from home is a luxury, but I've found it to be harder then having an office job. There is no designated time to work, I don't go to the office and get in the mind space of work and I have to fit in the business around my other job - parenting.

A typical day for me sees me doing my emails and social media (read facebook) through out the day whilst doing my 'parenting' job. I don't go into the 'office' until the babies are in bed. So I start work at 8pm at night. Packing orders, sending invoices, sewing samples or repairing nappies, sorting the shelves, emailing suppliers, recording sales and expenses, calling the courier, counting stock, contacting retailers etc. It's tough work, working at night when I'm at my most tired.




No comments:

Post a Comment