Saturday 12 January 2013

I have a confession...

I hate doing the washing. But don't we all!

Washing nappies was my biggest turn off when I first considered using cloth nappies. What I hate most about washing is standing at the clothes line in the blistering hot summer sun. It's fiddly and annoying. I'd rather be sitting inside: cool and not sunburnt.

But washing nappies is the easiest of my washing cycles.

All the nappies go in a bucket. Rather then walking the nappies to the bin, I drop them in our pail. At washing time there is no sorting. No gathering up the coloureds or whites – it all goes in together. There is no scrubbing out stains, buckets of soaking or putting the clothes inside out to avoid fading.

I pick up the bucket and empty it into the washing machine (10 seconds!). Done.

I found the easiest, quickest and best way to hang my nappies is on a clothes horse. Why? Well it's easy. It can be done while watching TV, chatting to your family/kids, inside out of the sun and/or in between settling a cantankerous baby.

Lay out the nappies when you get the chance and pop them outside. You can even do this the night before and leave the nappies inside awaiting the morning sun to rise.

What's even better is when your nappies don't dry, you don't need to go take them off the line only to re-hang them later. You can shift the clothes horse around the yard to chase the sun, pop them in front of a heater, or in a draughty place inside. Or when it rains, bring them in quickly before they get wet awaiting you to pull them off the line in that typical frazzle when the rain starts to pour on your almost dry washing.

Our Baby Bare stash out catching some rays.
The clothes horse is my best friend in washing. It makes my life much easier, and for me, makes using cloth nappies a very simple part of our lives. Considering the washing is the biggest excuse people give for not using cloth, I must say it is incredibly easier then most think. It's only a few extra minutes out of your day that can fit in around your other chores with the only time needed to be spent outside is walking your clothes horse in and out the door (or just leave it in the living room if you don't mind them taking a bit longer!).

In reality, washing your nappies blends in to your life. Like washing any other clothes it just becomes part of the overall household chores/washing. After a week you don't even think about it. What you will notice is the saving on your weekly grocery bill, the cute soft nappy on your baby, and the lack of waste going into your bin each week.

Read our nappy care instructions on our website, and we'd love to hear from you about what tips you've discovered for washing your nappies.

No comments:

Post a Comment